Tuesday, February 15, 2005

New shoes!

I bought new shoes, which is quite the accomplishment for me. I think this may be the first time in my life I've bought shoes for myself, having grown up in a bedroom directly over the shoe section of the family store.

I also worked a bit with those shoes, so when I was in the Shibuya ABC Shoes, I took one look around and started pulling boxes off of the walls for myself, even taking one or two pairs off of the display shelves.

Well, I think I flustered the hell out of the sales staff. They kept asking if I needed any help. At that point I was committed, so, my identity as a foreigner firmly established (Kate was around to help me with the whole buying clothes thing, and I'd been jibberjabbering with her in English), I went full speed-ahead with gaijin power.

In my defense, I was doing everything perfectly. When I was done trying on a pair of shoes, I put the box back together neatly, and returned it right where it came from. The staff had nothing to complain about!

Eventually, though, I had trouble finding where they kept one of the styles, and so I had to ask for their help, and they promptly took over. And I mean took over. At one point, I reached for a shoe a sales person had retrieved, before he had finished undoing the laces for me, and he actually shooed my hand away. The nerve!

P.S. Battlestar Galactica is awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home