Friday, March 26, 2004

It's a real page turner!

Today my soon-to-be-boss (starting in May--I'm moving schools) was looking for some text to use in a TOEIC lesson. Jokingly, I suggested my current reading material.

That being Alexandre Kojève's Introduction to the reading of Hegel.

The dude actually took me seriously, even after I told him I was joking. I had to convince him that it was a bad idea. "No, really, don't do it. It's cruel. Look, there are entire pages that are completely incomprehensible to me. Some of these words don't even really exist."

Thereafter we started to talk about which books might be good for the purpose at hand. I suggested Anne of Green Gables, which is quite popular in Japan (although here she is known as Anne of the Red Hair). Then it occurred to me that my non-Canadian coworkers might not have any idea what I was talking about, so I asked if they'd heard of it.

And one of them replied, "Yeah, it's some American book, isn't it?"

There wasn't much to say in response, so I ripped off his stupid Australian nose.