Wednesday, March 24, 2004

I can say she had nothing to do with Zatoichi

Last night I finished watching Zatoichi. Now, I haven't seen Kill Bill Vol. 2 yet, of course, but after I do I'll probably say something along the lines of, "Zatoichi is the sort of movie that Kill Bill should've been." Which is to say, Zatoichi rocks. Superb action, great music, and great dialogue.

Well, the 50% or so of the dialogue that I could understand was great. I'm sure the remainder was quite good as well. (Stupid non-subtitled downloads....)

And let's not forget the dance numbers!

In other news, today we treated ourselves to sushi for dinner, at a place that was recommended to us by the fish lady. (So-called because she sells fish. But not real fish, though, that's cruel.) A big sign out front said that all sushi was 120 yen per plate--with 2 pieces of nigirizushi per plate, this was a great deal! We ordered ourselves a couple of rounds, and when we were becoming pleasantly full, I calculated that we'd only spent about 2000 yen, which wouldn't have been half bad.

I say "wouldn't" because the bill actually came to nearly 5000, and, on closer inspection, the 120 yen price was indeed per piece, and not per plate, which fully doubled the expected cost of the meal. Hee hee. Oops.

Later on we joined Mr. Small and company for a few drinks at Doma-Doma. This was shortly after we'd met them, purely by accident, at the Shibuya Hachiko Crossing, one of the busiest pedestrian intersections in Tokyo. A spectacular coincidence, although I must say Mr. Small is not particularly difficult to pick out of a Tokyo crowd.

Later we dropped by the mind-bogglingly awesome apartment of one of the members of my slowly germinating circle of Japanese friends, to pick up the camera I'd forgotten there a couple of days ago. We were treated to some tea served in seasonal Christmas mugs, as well as a video hosted by our hostess, who, it turns out, is a minor celebrity. But concerning this I can say no more, as I have been sworn to secrecy concerning the details.