Sunday, February 12, 2006

World Press Photo awards

Screw the Olympics. I'm a bigger fan of photojournalism than I am of hockey (or whatever), so I don't think any gold medal would be able to stoke my patriotism more than Canadian Finbarr O'Reilly winning World Press Photo of the Year, with this shot of Mother and child at emergency feeding center, Tahoua, Niger.

The whole Winners Gallery is worth browsing through. Here are some that really need to be seen by everyone (and with all due respect to my fellow Canuck, I feel that some of them might have been worthier of the top prize):

Child labourer in a textile factory, Bangladesh
Indigenous family, Guatemala
Boy helps his father to dress, Sierra Leone
Reburial of Srebrenica massacre victims' bodies, Potocari, Bosnia
Car bomb explosion at Tahrir Square, Baghdad, Iraq

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This one is worth about a million:
Young girl grieves her parents killed by US patrol, Tal Afar, Iraq

(I've actually seen that last one before, with some more context, here.)

Warning: Not Safe For Contentment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home