Thursday, October 14, 2004

Flip-floppers: oh, how I hate them

So most of my confederates in sanity are exciting about, for example, this contradiction. Here at the Embassy, however, something else attracted attention.

During the 2nd debate, October 8, Dubya said: When a drug comes in from Canada, I want to make sure it cures you and doesn't kill you.

During the 3rd debate, October 13, Dubya said: We're working with Canada to hopefully -- that they'll produce a -- help us realize the vaccine necessary to make sure our citizens have got flu vaccinations during this upcoming season.

Well, I suppose our neighbours to the south can make use of our medical supplies, but be aware that they may come a little late, due to the amount of time it will take us to check through the stock and make sure that it's not poison.

Continuing with the medical theme in this last debate, Dubya declared:

Our health-care system is the envy of the world because we believe in making sure that the decisions are made by doctors and patients, not by officials in the nation's capital.

Envy of the world? Well, except for Canada. And then there's the UK, Sweden, Germany, Denmark... let's say "Europe" and leave it at that. Also Australia, New Zealand, I'd imagine. Probably a few Asian countries.

But, there are plenty of countries left--I'd grant him the entire third world, for example, and that's a fair number of countries... well, pretty much, since I'm not too sure about Cuba.

And could someone please explain the following to me?

In all due respect, I'm not so sure it's credible to quote leading news organizations about -- oh, never mind.

Edit--I've been informed (and I should have figured this out in the first place, but it's not so easy to make these connections when you're not immersed in the American media cesspool) that this last was a shot at the CBS snafu. So instead of confusion I'm left with mere incredulity. As William Saletan puts it in Slate, "Really. The president of the United States said that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home