Monday, May 15, 2006

Mom's Day

I don't usually go in for holidays perpetuated mainly by Hallmark. But every rule has an exception. So, here goes:

My Mom

My mom is a pretty good mom. Actually, really, she's a supermom. She's fed me a lot of really good food over the years. All kinds of food. Most of it was made from scratch. When I was in elementary school and junior high, she made me lunch boxes containing culinary delights that made the other kids gawk in open-mouthed wonder. And then I'd tell them: "It's too bad your mom isn't as good as my mom!"

Just kidding.

Anyway, given how much I love food (and how much I eat) I could stop right here--but I won't.

Here's another way my mom is a supermom: For the past few years, mom has been driving my sisters to and from school--the school being an hour away--each way. Just so they can go to a better school than exists in our little wee prairie town. She does this every day. It's pretty amazing. (Of course, she never did anything like that for me. But I'm sure that she would have been up for it if the occasion had arisen. Or so I like to think.)

When I was a kid, she used to scold me for getting 19/20 on a test. "If you can get 19 right, why can't you get just one more right?" she would say. She had a point. Anyway, I'm in grad school now, so I guess I must have ended up with a pretty good attitude towards academics.

And she's good about nagging. I mean, she still nags, of course, but she always prefaces her nagging with a warning that she's about to nag me. So, it's like I'm being nagged, but I still sort of count as an adult.

Anyway: To my mom: happy mother's day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as I predicted - I came upstairs & Mom had "something in her eye". Women are so emotional.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way...
Happy Valentine's Day, Kate!

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home