Friday, March 17, 2006

Bookshelf demographics, in centimeters

Kant, & commentary: 26.5
Darwin, & commentary: 22
Kierkegaard: 15.5
Pittsburghers: 9
Plato: 9
Rorty: 8
Freud, & Lear on Freud: 6.5
Wittgenstein: 4.5

The large Darwin contingent is a result of a single course I took last quarter, which had a reading list so long as to be ungodly--as is only fitting for an inherently blasphemous area of science. This isn't really one of my interests, but maybe it could turn into an "AOC", as we say in the biz.

Rorty would be better represented, if only I knew where my copy of Rorty And His Critics was. The meagre Wittgenstein showing is probably pretty scandalous at this department. On the plus side, I spotted an old-school copy of Anscombe's Introduction to Wittgenstein's Tractatus in Vancouver. I think it dates back to the 19th century or whenever my dad was in university, so once I claim that it should get me a lot of cred around here. ("Vintage" is still in, isn't it?)

Psychoanalysis is a new interest for me, thanks to Jonathan Lear, the same prof who got me hooked on Kierkegaard last quarter. I picked up two of his books on the topic, and they contain some of the best prose I've ever read in a philosophical context (setting aside Kierkegaard, who operated in a sphere of stylistic existence entirely inaccessible to mere mortal writers).

4 Comments:

Blogger christian said...

what are these "centimeters" you speak of?

12:24 AM  
Blogger Toby said...

OMG, I just noticed that I spelt that word like an American.

Next thing you know, I'll start imagining that this absurd talk of "Fahrenheit" and "ounces" actually makes sense.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

ha ha!

shouldn't there be an 'other' section? ;)

1:46 PM  
Blogger christian said...

you mean water freezing at 32, comfortable room temperature at 70, and water boiling at 212 isn't naturally intuitive?

here I was going the whole "you said cm instead of inches" thing, but that works too.

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home